Goals of the conference
The organisers set the following mutually reinforcing goals for the conference:
- Discuss the significance of economic growth as a policy goal and deconstruct underlying assumptions of GDP being the only mean to achieve economic policy objectives.
- Shift the discourse towards future-oriented economic policymaking and the benefits of beyond-growth indicators for a well-being European economy.
- Shape the EU’s path to a more resilient economic agenda in line the European Green Deal objectives and the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Createreal policy impact with new proposals to establish a new social, economic and environmental contract.
- Create new and unusual alliances between a great diversity of stakeholders.
The conference will address the following guiding questions:
- What narrative is needed to guide progress towards a European Union that aims to prosper, rather than to grow?
- What policiesand indicators are needed to build a society that focuses on satisfying the well-being of its citizens while respecting planetary boundaries?
- What governance structures are needed to deal with today’s interlinked environmental, social and economic challenges and ensure that all policy areas contribute to the EU’s common objectives?
- How to address inconsistencies between existing EU policies and a European post-growth economy agenda, and how to realign priorities accordingly?
The Beyond Growth 2023 Conference takes place in the European Parliament building in Brussels on 15-16-17 May 2023. Whether you are planning to attend in person or to follow us online, we please ask you to register:
I want to attend in person in Brussels