- The current issue of transform! european journal for alternative thinking and political dialogue introduces some innovations. There are two changes: first, a change of organisation and of technical coordination behind the scenes. This was necessary, because with the publication of the first issues of the Portuguese and Italian editions, the journal is now being published in six languages.*
Distribution and marketing are now being handled by VSA Publishing House, Hamburg.
Starting in May, the print edition will be supplemented by a modified and technically improved website. At the same time, the first issue of a regularly published newsletter will appear. The editorial coordination of this...
Focus: Crisis in Europe
- After years of economic upheaval in Poland, the financial crisis has hit the country dramatically. Alongside a rise in unemployment and decrease of industrial output, the crisis is leading to a...
- Many countries, importers of foodstuffs, have been affected lately by the food crisis and the rise in prices. While rich nations have been able more or less to cope, they have been particularly...
- The alter-globalist movement is faced with the crisis of globalisation, which can be characterised as a crisis of capitalist globalisation in its neoliberal phase. This crisis is not a surprise for...
- Twenty years ago, in late November 1989, the division of Europe came to an end. At the time, people were generally full of hope. The last 20 years’ development has determined the current situation as...
Armando Fernández Steinko
- Very unequal realities underlie the visions shared by the European left. Understanding the specificity of the Spanish situation in the current crisis requires taking into account at least two key...
- Anders Lundkvist analyses the financial crisis in Denmark and shows through a discussion of capitalism and democracy that democratic organisation of the economy can hardly be less efficient than the...
- Daniel Ankarloo, senior lecturer in social studies and economic history at Malmö College of Higher Learning, speaks with Patrik Vulkan about the increasingly profound financial crisis, the historic...
- Since the outbreak of the economic crisis most policy makers, as well as analysts, have been “behind the curve”; that is to say, they have consistently underestimated the seriousness of the economic...
- The current crisis is casting its heavy shadow on the Davos Economic Forum, which has begun its annual meeting. This is only natural and in fact the crisis that has broken out over the last six months...
- We are dealing with a highly volatile reality, and many statements, documents and decisions of government leaders, namely in the framework of the preparatory process of the London G20 meeting in April...
- Institut für Gesellschaftsanalyse der Rosa-Luxemburg-Stiftung
(Effi Böhlke, Lutz Brangsch, Michael Brie, Mario Candeias, Erhard Crome,Judith Dellheim, Conny Hildebrandt, Christina Kaindl, Dieter...
- Transparency has been a major topic ever since the explosion of the financial crisis. There are several reasons for this. We need more transparency in order to make the global financial system...
- Steingrímur Sigfússon, the Minister of Finance and the leader of the Left-Green Movement, in conversation with Ruurik Holm from transform! europe on the financial crisis of Iceland.
- In the course of its development the EU has been confronted by various complex contradictions which gave rise to specific solutions. Each of these stages involved institutions and agreements which...
- One of the marking features of the period that begins in the 1980s is the use of extremely complex instruments to engage in new forms of primitive accumulation.
Global firms that outsource hundreds...
- It is considered good form in some leftist circles – particularly the “far left” – to look down on the European Parliament: “What are you doing in this mess?”; “Decisions are taken elsewhere”; “Any...
World Social Forum
- This year the World Social Forum moved to Belém, at the edge of the Amazon Rain Forest. More than 100,000 people participated and attended more than 2,000 panels and discussion seminars. Almost a...
- The following text is the initial result of the first Science and Democracy World Forum which took place at the WSF in Belém 2009. It initiates an open and inclusive global process that seeks to build...
Gian Franco Benzi
- The birth of the Labour and Globalisation European network (L&G), launched during the World Social Forum in Nairobi in January 2007, was based on the need to connect the diverse and all too fragmented...
- This year's World Social Forum is taking place in the year of all the dangers. As Rafael Correa, the President of Ecuador, put it so well on January 29, 2009 during the meeting of the social movements...
- The Forum began in the Afternoon of November 25, 2008 after the Great March of African Dignity. Many thousands of people, from all over Africa, marched with drums and trumpets, music and dances and...
- “The people of Gaza have been restricted to survival rations for over 20 months now. Restrictions on food types, clothing and school books are keeping innocent children underfed, cold and uneducated....
- Maryse Dumas, a national secretary of the CGT in an interview with transform! (Elisabeth Gauthier/Dominique Crozat)
Maryse Dumas is a national secretary of the Confédération générale du travail...
- Dominique Crozat reports on the various movements and protests all over the world. The characteristic of their outstanding breadth is the merging of classical and new forms of resistance into a broad...
Gaël De Santis
- This article was written based on results of legislative elections in the 27 countries of the European Union over the period 2004 to 2008. It allows an overview of the different political forces in...
- Returning home 12 o’clock at night, two days before last Christmas, 42-year-old Konstandina Kouneva, cleaning worker, trade-unionist, single mother of an 11-year-old boy and immigrant from Bulgaria,...
- The victory obtained by the people of Guadeloupe, united against the exploitation and injustice that they have endured, shows that it is possible to find a way out. To do so, it is necessary to dare...
- The Systemic Crisis of Capitalism and a New Understanding of Global Prerequisites for Socialism of the 21st Century
Contradictions of Soviet Marxism and post-Soviet Marxism